Friday, March 20, 2009

Going Back to the "Real World"


The "Real" world...isn't that what they call it when you go back to work? You know, "joining the real world"... Getting up early in the morning to get showered and dressed, only to go spend 10 hours of the day with a bunch of people that are there for the same reason that you are (the money)...you know - the "real" world.

I was lucky, I was able to leave the "real" world for about four years. I started my own home-based business, battled an illness, became pregnant - with twins, brought them into toddlerdom, and now - now, it is time to strip myself of the baby food stained shirts, kick off the flip flops and get back into business. Yep, it's time to dust off the cape and return to my life as SUPER MOM!

Hmmm, but how will this be different? At home, I balanced the check book and made sure that all of the creditors were paid on-time. I was a creative accountant. I managed all of the vendors, bringing them in when work was to be done and got my hands dirty when I needed to. I was a fantastic project manager. I counselled my teenagers through broken hearts and bad friendships - I was an awesome therapist. I organized the birthdays, the proms, and now a wedding - I am the best party planner in town! I bandaged boo-boos, froze bumps, and reduced fevers. I am a talented nurse and doctor. I created clever and tasty meals - Chef DuJour! I cleaned floors, dishes, laundry, floors, dishes, and laundry, and MORE floors, dishes, and laundry - I am a hard working custodian! I took one to track, the other to the movies, got groceries and put them away, changed diapers, made dinner all in a timely manner - I am an advanced multi-tasker and creative organizer. I am an avid photographer, a nimble seamstress, a coupon clipper, and damn good on the computer! I have held yard sales, organized fundraisers, and donated my time - I have given of myself and oh, so much more. So - how will the "real" world be different than this? The "real" world almost seems more of a break - a vacation...at least you get to go home at the end of the day! AND, and you get paid for it! Do you realize that is 30-40 diapers a week that I wont have to change!

So I have cleaned up my resume, and sent it on its way. Sure there were a few "I'm sorry, but your not qualified" responses...perhaps, I should have listed "parent" as my ongoing position - or maybe if they met with me, they would have learned that there is more to me than a few words on paper? c'est la vie - their loss. So I have mailed, and e-mailed, and waited. Finally - right during a battle with big green dinosaurs, I got the call. Am I ready? One moment please (as I turn the volume to "Happy Feet" down) yes, I would be happy to meet with you!

Going back to the "real" world this time, seems different. The outside work seems so simple. It's very similar to managing a family - only there are more relatives that "live" with you. My outlook is different too...it's not just the journey, but the destination. There are so many ways that you can make a difference in this world - at home, at work - at play. I think that I will be okay. Oh, I'll miss screaming down the hallways in a mad race for the finish - but, I'm sure I'll get to play the adult version of that in the "real" world.

The real hard part of this is leaving the kids. Will the nanny know that purple snot is indicative of a blueberry up the nose? Will she know how to easily get it out? Will she know how to perk up the teenager when he gets home from school? Will she know where the tickle-bees live and how to contact them?????

I know we'll all be okay. I won't be gone forever, just a few hours. I'm just going back to the "real" world. I'm dusting off my cape and will power through my day and then I'll return home to kill dinner, bathe the fishes, and stain-remove the laundry. But, I'm not going alone! I'm tucking the dinosaurs into my briefcase, just in case I need them! Watch out world! Here comes Momma!



1 comment:

  1. Good luck out there! And home every day you get back... Of course nanny will know - and what she doesn't, she will learn :-)

    ReplyDelete